worldcup online – the real conversation

New Zealand 20-6 Australia

October 16th, 2011 by · No Comments · Features

Piri, Piri - not so hot today

Rugby World Cup 2011 semi-final match report
• Watch World Cup video highlights, interviews and more

The All Blacks started at an elegant gallop and finished by working their way into the final of the World Cup on the handle of a mangle. The forwards were all-consuming in broken play and Australia never managed to free themselves anywhere.

The only slight hitch for the hosts was the yellow card shown to Sonny Bill Williams for tackling Quade Cooper without using his arms. Such a hit on the former Kiwi was not considered much of a crime.

The game couldn’t have started more sweetly for those that would taunt Cooper in these parts. The fly-half over-hit the kick-off, straight into touch. It allowed the All Blacks to set up camp, following the scrum, in the Australian 22. The waves of attacks came, wide and narrow, and the strain told. Australia lost a lineout on their own throw and after the phases Israel Dagg – nobody beats the first tackler with greater ease – cut through and delivered a pass, while falling and staying out of touch, to Ma’a Nonu.

Piri Weepu, had he not hit a post with a penalty and missed with two more shots at goal, would have eased the All Blacks further ahead. As it was, the Wallabies managed to ease themselves into the game. The battle of the breakdown, fierce, absorbing, unforgiving, was going against David Pocock – he was twice penalised – but after a mighty run from Digby Ioane it was Richie McCaw who gave away the penalty.

Cooper missed a high ball, was clattered over by Richard Kahui and was taunted mercilessly. It was even worse when his opposite number, little Aaron Cruden, calmly slotted a drop goal.

Will Genia threaded a kick along the ground that hit Kahui. From the line-out Cooper landed a drop goal of his own, but soon afterwards James Horwill was knocking on and Adam Ashley-Cooper caught the ball in a offside position. Penalty by Weepu; 14-6 at the break.

A third penalty by the scrum-half took the All Blacks 11 points clear and the flow went out of the game. Territory took over as the prize and Australia found themselves pinned way back. The All Blacks turned up the heat at the tackle and contested furiously.

Weepu left, came back on for Andy Ellis, who left covered in blood, kicked a last penalty and then left again. Job done. “Four More Years,” went around the ground, the chant the Wallaby fans used to throw at the All Blacks coming back at them.

New Zealand Dagg, Jane, Smith, Nonu (SB Williams, 72), Kahui; Cruden, Weepu (Ellis, 56); Woodcock, Mealamu (Hore, 63), O Franks (B Franks, 79), Thorn, Whitelock (A Williams, 56), Kaino (Vito, 79), McCaw (capt), Read.

Try Nonu Pens Weepu 3 DG Cruden

Australia Ashley-Cooper, O’Connor, Faingaa (Horne, 62), McCabe (Barnes, 47), Ioane; Cooper, Genia; Kepu (Slipper, 20), Moore (Polota-Nau, 65), Alexander, Vickerman (Simmonds, 59), Horwill (capt), Elsom, Pocock, Samo (McCalman, 59).

Pen O’Connor DG Cooper

Referee C Joubert (South Africa). Attendance 60,000. © 2011 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & ConditionsMore Feeds

Read more…



No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment